Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Beam Me Up, Esthi!

In the plastic surgery world, they say beauty is measured in millimeters. In my world, beauty is measured in nanometers. Lasers have become a mainstay in facial rooms at spas – both the medi and the pampering kind!

laser therapy What makes the cool laser especially so, well, cool, is that by varying the light color and therefore the wavelength frequency, the esthetician can actually target different layers of your skin, address specific skin concerns, and achieve different results.

When Albert Einstein theorized about the stimulated emission of radiation as part of his quantum theory, I’m pretty sure he couldn’t have imagined that he was paving the way for a glorious way to take care of skin. The laser is a man-made beam that is concentrated in conjunction with radiation to form a steady beam of light. Depending on the wavelength (or nanometer), the color changes and the effect on the skin is affected.

Blue light (450nm) penetrates 4-6 mm and addresses acne, sun damage, skin plumping, and killing bacteria.

Green light (530nm) penetrates 6-8 mm and reduces broken capillaries, age, spots, and heals scars.

Red light (660nm) penetrates 8-10 mm and addresses rosacea, eczema, dark circles, and wrinkles.

All three of these settings are also cool, which means that it is a relaxing experience for the light to pass over the skin. Usually all three of these options are found on a single cool laser machine, so you will have a full range of healing availability.

Let’s say you have acne on your forehead but rosacea on your chin, in a single session, both skin concerns could be addressed. The laser sessions also work cumulatively, and are safe to be used frequently.

After receiving a cool laser therapy in which I had the blue laser on the majority of my skin and the red laser around my eyes, I must report that it gave me a definite glow; a certain radiance about me. I looked as if I had had a great night’s sleep, appeared awake and renewed, and, of course, my skin looked and felt smooth and plumped. A definite homerun for facials…Beam me up, esthi!

No comments: